30.10.2021: – ENAIRE presents its technological advances in air navigation at the World ATM Congress, which is being held from 26 to 28 October in Madrid
– The Spanish air navigation service provider prepares landing manoeuvres based on GBAS technology for the A
– ENAIRE presents its technological advances in air navigation at the World ATM Congress, which is being held from 26 to 28 October in Madrid
– The Spanish air navigation service provider prepares landing manoeuvres based on GBAS technology for the Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport
– GBAS is considered the future of precision approaches with high resilience requirements
– Aena will be responsible for purchasing and implementing the equipment for this satellite-aided system at AS Madrid-Barajas, which will make it one of the first airports in the world to have this technology in category II/III
– The organisation is also showing how the digitisation of air control communications using Voice over IP offers a unique airspace without interruptions, thus expanding the European Digital Sky
During the World ATM Congress, which is being held in Madrid from 26 to 28 October, ENAIRE presented two projects to modernise its air navigation services.
Patricia Callejo, GNSS Certification Manager at ENAIRE, explained during one of the technical conferences that the Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport will have Category II/III GBAS satellite navigation.
The project, named MAGIC, an acronym for Madrid-Barajas Airport GBAS Implementation for CAT II/III ops, will allow the airport to operate with a more accurate air navigation signal. GBAS is considered the future of precision approaches with high resilience requirements. Conceived more than twenty years ago, GBAS is a land-based technology that boosts the GNSS signal (Global Navigation Satellite System), making it more reliable.
Aena will be responsible for implementing the GBAS Category II/III system at the Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport by purchasing and installing the equipment. The goal is to reinforce the implementation of advanced satellite air navigation aids, which will allow for more accurate approaches and enhance sustainability. With this installation, AS Madrid-Barajas will also be among the world’s first airports to have this advanced system, which will mark the future of precision landing manoeuvres.
ENAIRE and Aena pioneered GBAS by putting into service CAT I GBAS operations at the Malaga Costa del Sol Airport in 2014. It was the second airport in Europe, and the fourth in the world, with this technology. Two CAT II/III GBAS prototypes were subsequently installed at two Spanish airports as part of the SESAR industrial research framework. Currently, ENAIRE and the Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport are working closely to implement CAT III GBAS operations at this aerodrome, which could turn it into the first GBAS CAT III scenario in the world.
Ángel Crespo, the head of the Ground-to-Ground Communications Department at ENAIRE, gave a conference on the Single European Sky and IP Voice Communications, in which he discussed how the company is digitising its voice communication systems.
Air control communications networks are allowing the Single European Sky to make strides by connecting each work centre with common standards for operational capacity, safety and efficiency. This connectivity entails some risks, which are adequately mitigated with Voice over IP technology.
This digital system allows for increased service quality and enhances efficiency through greater flexibility, which makes it possible to reconfigure the operational scenario as needed, whether for reasons of efficiency or to implement continuity strategies; in other words, aircraft travel through airspace with no interruptions.
Enrique Maurer, ENAIRE’s Air Navigation Services Director, and Geoffroy Ville, Deputy COO of DSNA France (Direction des Services de la Navigation Aérienne), signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on aeronautical information at the W more >>
HRH King Felipe VI today opened the eighth edition of the World ATM Congress, featuring 6,000 professionals from 110 countries, and which also includes a new edition of Expodrónica (Drone Expo), with 50 exhibitors. It is being held in Madrid between 26 and 28 October.
Month by month, the trend continues as air traffic recovers to pre-pandemic levels. ENAIRE managed over 147,000 flights in September (147,221), which is just 27.6% below the average for the entire network for the same month in 2019, the baseline year for data comparisons, since traffic in 2020 fell to very low levels as a result of COVID-19. more >>
ENAIRE improves the accessibility of the San Sebastian Airport by implementing new procedures based on satellite navigation for departures and arrivals.Since these procedures do not depend on ground-based navaids, they provide a highly useful solut more >>
• First-ever electric race plane set for inaugural test flight• Nordic Air Racing Team designed and developed cutting-edge aircraft• Expert engineering outfit delighted to be leading development race more >>
Starting today, ENAIRE is holding the “Human Factor Days” congress online until 1 October, with EUROCONTROL, an intergovernmental organisation for air navigation safety; FAA, the US aviation agency; Austro Control, Austria’s air navigation service provider, and Aprocta, the professional air traffic controllers association. Ángel Luis Arias, CEO of ENAIRE, opened the congres more >>
• Air Race 1 meeting at San Angelo delayed until 2022• Decision made in conjunction with The Lions Club San Angelo, San Angelo Convention & Visitors Bureau and City of San Angelo• Ticket-holders automatically eligible for rescheduled event more >>
ENAIRE managed over 160,000 flights in August, only 26% less than in 2019• Domestic flights fared the best, with a drop of 4%• Over 650,000 flights were managed in the first eight months of the year• If the flights are compared to those of August 2020, the figure is 51% higher more >>
• The Minister of Transport, Mobility and the Urban Agenda, Raquel Sánchez, noted that the agreement provides a boost for the implementation of urban air mobility in our country• ENAIRE assumes the management of automated operations that demand technologies, infrastructures and concepts involving simultaneous drone operations in densely populated more >>
Photo 1 From left to right: Manuel Arrabal, ENAIRE’s Canary Islands Air Navigation Regional Director; Julio Peñalver Mora, the Director of the Gran Canaria Airport; Rubén Alegre, ECAO Captain; Fernando Torres, General of the Canary Islands Air Comma more >>
Air Race E will bring a host of the aviation industry’s most highly skilled experts together to compete in the first-ever manned all-electric air racing series, simultaneously propelling performance levels and wider technical development in the sector. more >>
The recovery of air traffic in Spain exceeds the European average- Domestic flights fared the best, with a fall of 9.2%- In the first seven months of the year, ENAIRE managed nearly half a million flights- If the flights are co more >>
Global drinks brand announced as Official Partner for San Angelo event Air Race 1 is delighted to announce today (9 August) that one of the world’s most significant and recognised brands – Coca-Cola – has become an Official Partner for its highly-a more >>
ENAIRE, Spain’s national air traffic manager, is enhancing its position as a leader and benchmark in Europe in air safety management.The day-to-day work of ENAIRE’s professionals is guided by the mission of providing quality air navigation services in a way that is safe, efficient and environmentally friendly, the goal being to turn ENAIRE into a global more >>
ENAIRE is joining the 2nd edition of the Women’s Empowerment Programme, Target Gender Equality, of the United Nations Global Compact. This is an initiative with a global impact whose main objective is to integrate gender equality across all areas of the company and ex more >>
Red Bull Air Force and U.S. Special Operations Command Para-Commandos will jump from the Goodyear BlimpThe Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company’s newest blimp, Wingfoot Three, will become one of the skydiving platforms for the Red Bull Air Force and the U. more >>
NASA and ESA (European Space Agency) have formed a first-of-its-kind strategic partnership to observe Earth and its changing environment. The global climate is rapidly changing and the demand for accurate, timely, and actionable knowledge is more pressing more >>
– Groundbreaking training program to focus on safety and operationalization of eVTOL urban air mobility- Volocopter, urban air mobility pioneer, teams up with CAE, global leader in aviation training, to develop an electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) pilot training program in preparation for Volocopter’s first eVTOL aircraft upcoming entry-into-service more >>
Yamaha Motor and ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd. have signed an agreement for the joint research of next-generation small aircrafts.ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd. is a Japanese conglomerate active in the Transportation Equipment business category, currently ope more >>
• This update to the air traffic control system will make the management of Spain’s airspace more efficient• SACTA-iTEC 4.0 provides a set of solutions that will be implemented sequentially, and which are aimed at improving capacity and safety in all Tower, Route and Terminal Area environments• Two years of work and around €8 more >>
• Date set for first flight as Air Race E leads the charge in electric air racing revolution • Months of preparation culminate in pivotal moment for global aviation sector • ‘This milestone further establishes us at the leading edge of the industry’ – Air Race E CEO more >>
• Demand for drone operations has increased since 2018, accelerated by the pandemic in 2020 and even more in 2021, and is forecast for greater growth in the future• Drone operators, AECA, TEDAE, the Civil Aviation General Directorate, Aena, AESA, the Air Force Staff, the Department of Customs and Special Taxes of the Revenue Agency and the State Secreta more >>
MPA Creative and MPA Commercial to work with world’s first all-electric airplane race seriesAir Race E – the world’s first all-electric airplane race series – has appointed MPA Creative as its official media and communications agency, whilst MPA Co more >>
• ENAIRE highlighted this during the conference “Drones and Spanish talent: Pioneering R&D projects in the aeronautical sector”, organised by Garrigues and AEDAE, where the most innovative drone projects developed in Spain were showcased.
For the first time in over a decade, the European Space Agency (ESA) is seeking new astronauts to join humankind’s greatest adventure for the benefit of Earth.Applications open 31 March 2021 and ESA’s Astronaut Selection webpage more >>
As this image captured today, 11 February, by Copernicus Sentinel-3 shows, the Netherlands remains pretty much snow-covered thanks to days of sub-zero temperatures following the country’s first major snowstorm in a decade.Storm Darcy hit the Netherlands in the more >>
Gavin Schmidt, acting senior climate advisorIn an effort to ensure effective fulfillment of the Biden Administration’s climate science objectives for NASA, the agency has established a new position of senior climate advisor an more >>
ASECNA, NIGCOMSAT Ltd and Thales Alenia Space joining efforts through SBAS flight demonstrations at Lomé International AirportThe Agency for Air Navigation Safety in Africa and Madagascar, ASECNA, the Nigerian Communications Satellite Ltd, NIGCOMSAT and Thale more >>
As the Lunar Module pilot on Apollo 16, Charles ‘Charlie’ Duke became the tenth person to step onto the moon and one of only six people to experience the Lunar Roving Vehicle (LRV) – one of the most advanced, innovative electric vehicles ever. And yet, until recently, he hadn’t driven an electric car on earth. To mark the 50th anniversary of the first LRV landings on the more >>
Photographer Dustin Snipes reinterprets magical Marfa LightsThe unexplainable visual phenomenon known as the Marfa Lights have entranced people in the night sky above Texas for 137 years with acclaimed American photographer Dustin Snipes reinte more >>
SiriusXM’s new 1300-class satellite will provide continuous and expanded delivery of its audio entertainment and information services across North America photo caption: This rendering shows what SiriusXM’s new SXM-7 satellite will look like wh more >>
There is more to being a drone pilot than just buying a machine and flying in your backyard. It can be that simple, but most of us will need to understand some drone laws before we try to take to the sky.