LIHU‘E — The Kaua‘i Police Department promoted eight officers at its headquarters on Friday in a special ceremony.
“I’m honored to be promoting these officers today,” Chief of Police Todd Raybuck said in a release. “Each one of them has showed exemplary service to not only this department, but to the entire community. I know that they will continue to wear their badges with dignity and with a wholehearted commitment to maintaining the public safety of this island.”
The Master of Ceremony for Friday’s event was Captain Paul Applegate. The pinning of the badges was preceded with a blessing by Police Chaplain Kevin Cram and speeches by County Managing Director Michael Dahilig, who was representing Mayor Derek S. K. Kawakami, as well as Raybuck.
“We recognize to continue to do this work is a choice. A noble one that you have made,” Dahilig said. “However, with more responsibility means you can have more impact. We acknowledge this work of keeping our public safe has become increasingly tricky in this day and age. With that – remember to be humble with more authority. Remember to be kind. Remember you are a leader and an example.”
• Daniel Oliveira was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. In 2001, Oliveira was hired with KPD and was part of the 71st Recruit Class. In 2013, he returned to the Vice Section as the Operations Sergeant. In 2020, he returned to Patrol and has been serving as the Patrol Administrative Sergeant.
• Makana Rivera was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. He was hired at KPD in 2009. He has held various assignments throughout the years, including with the Patrol Services Bureau, as a Vice Investigator, a Property Crimes Detective and a Major Crimes Detective.
• Kevin C. Gras was promoted to the rank of Sergeant. Gras was hired by KPD in 2015 and has been working with the Patrol Services Bureau in the Hanalei District for the past five years.
• Lucas J. K. Hamberg was promoted to the rank of Sergeant. Hamberg has served various roles within KPD, including as an Officer for the Patrol Services Bureau serving the Kawaihau/Hanalei District, serving on the Special Response Team and as a School Resource Officer at Waimea, Kaua’i and Kapa’a high schools.
• Hanson S. Hsu was promoted to the rank of Sergeant. Hsu was initially assigned to the Patrol Services Bureau and has since transferred to the Investigative Services Bureau where he works in Vice narcotics. He also serves on KPD’s crisis intervention team, the Special Response Team, and is a bomb technician assigned to the Hawaiʿi Interisland Bomb Squad.
• Matthew J. Tavares was promoted to the rank of Sergeant. Tavares was hired by KPD in 2014. After graduating from the police recruit academy, he was assigned to the Patrol Services Bureau, Platoon 3, Kawaihau District. When he switched over to a permanent shift, he was assigned to third watch Kawaihau District. For the last two years, he was assigned as Officer in Charge for Third watch Kawaihau District.
• Bobby L. K. Thompson was promoted to the rank of Sergeant. Thompson was hired with KPD in 2012. He has served as a patrol officer in the Kawaihau District Platoon 2, Officer In Charge Kawaihau District Platoon 2, a School Resource Officer for Waimea and Kauaʿi high schools, and a Field Training Officer. Thompson is also on KPD’s Peer Support Team, is an FAA certified Drone pilot on KPD’s Drone Team, a member of KPD’s Communications Team, and is a trained Crisis Intervention Officer.