Job ID: R0121605Location: Crawley, England, United Kingdom
Regular Employment, Full time
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
The Thales Flight Operations Organisation delivers Test and Evaluation (T&E) and Training flight operations of large complex Unmanned Air Systems (UAS) for UK MoD and other customers. Thales is expanding its UAS capability, providing an exciting opportunity for another UAS Pilot to join the team. The new pilot will perform a central role within the organization, conducting and supervising UAS flights. They will be capable (following a short transitional period) of taking on the role of Flight Operations Post Holder, responsible for managing flight operations to ensure the safe and regulatory compliant delivery of the T&E programme.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- As an active member of the Flight Operations Organisation, the UAS Pilot should be able to undertake the following tasks:
- Qualify as a Flight Supervisor, Flight Authorizer, UAV Commander (Aircraft Captain) and UAS Pilot/Payload Operator on Type.
- Conduct Thales and MoD flight trials as a UAV Commander, UAS Pilot and UAS Payload Operator.
- Lead flight planning, briefing and debriefing to deliver flight trials and training objectives.
- Supervise UAS flight activity.
- Conduct liaison with ATC, airfield representatives, Air Weapons Ranges, support facilities and external agencies.
- Conduct duties required to actively support the Air Safety Management System.
- Hold the role of Flight Operations Post Holder to:
- Provide interpretation and implementation of aviation policy and regulations.
- Monitor flight operations compliance and conformance to regulatory requirements and internal flying orders.
- Manage flight operations qualifications, currencies and competencies.
- Maintain effective flight operations orders, processes and procedures.
- Manage and maintain flight planning facilities.
- Foster an Engaged Air Safety Culture.
- Previously (or current) qualified military or civilian RPAS/UAS Pilot or Payload Operator,
- Previously (or current) qualified manned aircraft Pilot/Navigator/Weapons Systems Officer.
- Previously (or current) qualified Flight Authorizer.
- Class A Test Pilot or Class A Flight Test Engineer qualification from ETPS/USNTPS/USAF TPS/EPNER.
- Central Flying School endorsed Aircrew Instructor.
- >1000 hours manned aircraft flight.
- >500 hours UAS flight in medium/large UAS.
- Flying supervision experience as a flying organisation supervisor or Flight Commander.
- Experience conducting Test & Evaluation flight operations.
- Safety Management experience.
Note – we will only consider UK Eyes only candidates
In line with Thales’ Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!